Call For Free Consultation

  Office Location

Understanding temporary total workers’ compensation benefits

| Mar 2, 2017 | Workers' Compensation |

Ohio workers who suffer workplace injuries have the right to receive workers’ compensation benefits. For those who are unable to work for a certain amount of time as they receive treatment and recover, it might be possible to get temporary total compensation. The eligibility for this type of workers’ compensation benefits depends on certain factors. Those who qualify have been restricted from working because of an injury suffered at work, and they have been released to work on modified duty but the employer does not have work that meets what the worker is able to do.

To collect these benefits, the worker must file a request for temporary total compensation. The worker’s physician must also provide information regarding the worker’s ability to work and any restrictions. The worker must also submit the earnings he or she received at work for the 52 weeks before suffering the workplace injury.

The payments are full weekly wages for the first 12 weeks after the date of the injury. The amount earned for six weeks and/or the last seven days before the injury date will be calculated and the average will be determined, with the worker receiving 72 percent of that number. After 12 weeks, the worker will receive the average weekly rate based on what was earned in the previous 52 weeks before the injury. The average will be determined and the worker receives 66 2/3 percent of that number.

The temporary total payments will cease if the person goes back to work; if their doctor says they can return to their former job; if the employer provides work within the doctor’s restrictions; if the worker has reached maximum medical improvement; if the worker was working during the period of disability; if he or she is incarcerated; or if the worker abandons employment voluntarily.

Lost wages are often at the forefront of concerns for injured workers. If there is a problem with collecting wage loss benefits, the injured worker may wish to consult a workers’ compensation attorney.

Source: bwc.ohio.gov, “What is temporary total compensation?,” accessed on Feb. 27, 2017